Chapter Two: The Kiss That Changed Nothing - Fiction Fantasy
so... as much as I liked that married guy, I realized most of what I was 'in love' with was myself and the ideas in my mind that covered the gap from his reality and my desires... let's say he decided to be a good man but went about it in all the wrong ways...
(continuation from the True Story...)
By then, I had convinced myself I was done.
Done replaying every conversation.
Done assigning meaning to every Instagram view.
Done imagining alternate endings where life magically worked in my favor.
I had blocked his number.
Unfollowed him.
Stopped driving by.
Or at least... that's what I kept telling myself.
The problem with closure is that sometimes your heart forgets to tell your feet.
One Thursday afternoon, I found myself taking the familiar exit.
"I just want to end this properly," I whispered to myself.
Funny how often our biggest lies begin with the word just.
The Porsche sat outside.
Red.
Polished.
Impossible to ignore.
He looked up as I walked in.
For a moment, neither of us spoke.
Then he smiled.
Not the confident smile I'd remembered.
This one looked... tired.
"Poly."
"I need five minutes."
He nodded toward the office.
The door clicked shut behind us.
"I found out you're married."
Silence.
"You looked me in the eye and told me you were single."
More silence.
"I wasn't asking because I wanted gossip. I was asking because I wanted to protect my heart."
He lowered his head.
"I know."
"No, I don't think you do."
Months of confusion poured out of me.
The messages.
The hope.
The fantasies.
The embarrassment of realizing I'd fallen for a version of someone who didn't actually exist.
"I kept thinking maybe I wasn't enough."
His eyes snapped toward mine.
"Don't."
"No. Let me finish."
"I kept wondering what was wrong with me. Why someone who made me feel so seen never actually chose to know me."
His jaw tightened.
"I never wanted to hurt you."
"But you did."
The words hung between us.
Heavy.
Undeniable.
"I would've walked away on day one if you had simply told me the truth."
He rubbed both hands over his face.
"I know."
"I wasn't asking you to choose me."
"I know."
"I was asking for honesty."
For the first time since I'd met him...
He looked genuinely shaken.
Not because I'd accused him.
Because I'd stopped protecting his feelings and finally spoke about my own.
He took one slow step toward me.
"I thought if I kept my distance..."
I laughed.
"A distance? You invited me back. You gave me hope. You smiled every time I convinced myself I was imagining things."
"I'm sorry."
"I know."
"I mean it."
"I know."
The room fell silent again.
I looked toward the door.
"I should go."
He reached for my hand.
Not to stop me.
Almost as if he wasn't ready to let the conversation end.
I turned back.
His eyes searched mine.
"I'm sorry," he whispered one last time.
Before either of us had time to think better of it, he leaned forward and kissed me.
It wasn't the kiss I'd imagined for months.
It wasn't fireworks.
It wasn't destiny.
It was grief.
Regret.
Curiosity.
A goodbye disguised as a beginning.
When we pulled apart, neither of us smiled.
Neither of us spoke.
The silence said everything words never could.
Outside, a car door slammed.
Voices drifted across the parking lot.
Reality had arrived.
He looked toward the window.
I took one step backward.
Then another.
"I hope one day you become the man you pretended to be when we met."
His eyes closed.
"I hope you find someone who never has to pretend."
I opened the door.
Without looking back, I walked into the afternoon sun.
The butterflies were gone.
In their place was something quieter.
Peace.
It wasn't the ending I'd imagined.
It was better.
Because this time, I wasn't walking away hoping he'd follow me.
I was walking toward a life that no longer required him to.



Comments
Post a Comment