Chapter Four: The Black Lamborghini (part 2) - Fiction Fantasy
The unmistakable sound reached me before the car did.
Deep.
Confident.
The kind of engine note that makes every conversation pause for just a second.
A volunteer beside me looked up.
"Another Lamborghini."
I kept my eyes on the registration forms.
"Lane Three," I said automatically.But my heart already knew.
The black Lamborghini rolled slowly toward my table.
Sunlight danced across the paint like liquid obsidian.
Even standing still, it looked fast.
The driver's window lowered.
There he was.
Mr. M.
Three months ago, I would've forgotten my own name.
Now...
I remembered exactly who I was.
He smiled.
Not the smile of a man who expected something.
The smile of a man who hoped for something.
"Hi, Poly."
"Hi."
"It's good to see you."
"You too."
He looked around at the crowds.
"You look happy."
"I am."
He nodded.
"I've missed talking to you."
There was a pause.
The kind that only exists between two people carrying unfinished conversations.
"I was wondering..."
He hesitated.
"Would you have dinner with me?"
I looked at him for a long moment.
A younger version of me would've answered before he finished asking.
Instead...
I smiled.
"Sure."
His face brightened.
"Really?"
"Absolutely."
I tilted my head.
"Should I expect your wife to join us?"
His smile disappeared.
"..."
"Or maybe Miss Y?"
His shoulders sank.
"You know."
"I know enough."
"I can explain."
"I'm sure you can."
Another silence.
This one heavier than the first.
"I really wanted this to be different."
"So did I."
He looked away.
"I never meant to hurt you."
"I believe that."
"I still think about you."
"I know."
"I wish we had met under different circumstances."
"So do I."
He laughed quietly.
"You always know exactly what to say."
"No."
I smiled gently.
"I finally know when not to."
The loud crackle of a radio interrupted us.
"Registration! Next vehicle!"
The moment dissolved.
The Lamborghini.
The crowd.
The volunteers.
The smell of gasoline and coffee.
Everything blurred.
Then...
Reality returned.
"...Miss?"
I blinked.
A volunteer beside me was staring at me.
"You okay?"
I looked down.
My pen was frozen halfway across a registration form.
The Lamborghini was still rolling toward my table.
Slowly.
The driver's window began to lower.
Mr. M smiled.
"Good morning."
That entire conversation...
Had never happened.
Not a single word.
It had existed only inside the strange little theater my heart had built in the two seconds our eyes met.
Amazing what the mind can accomplish before reality has a chance to speak.
I smiled politely.
"Good morning."
Professional.
Calm.
Safe.
He handed me his registration paperwork.
I read the driver's name without reacting.
"Vehicle?"
He grinned.
"I think you already know."
For a split second...
I almost laughed.
The fantasy wanted me to flirt.
Growth chose something else.
I handed the paperwork back.
"Please proceed to Lane Three."
He held my gaze for just a heartbeat longer than necessary.
Maybe hoping.
Maybe wondering.
Maybe simply remembering.
Then he nodded.
"Thank you."
As the Lamborghini pulled away, I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding.
The rest of the afternoon passed in a blur of engines, laughter, and organized chaos.
Families wandered through the rows of cars.
Children pointed excitedly at Ferraris.
Owners swapped stories like proud parents.
Every now and then I'd catch a glimpse of the black Lamborghini across the show field.
And every now and then...
I'd catch him looking in my direction.
Not with confidence.
Not with expectation.
With curiosity.
As if he were meeting me for the first time.
Later, as the sun dipped lower over Boston Harbor, I finally walked over to admire the Lamborghini up close.
He noticed."So..."
"So."
"What do you think?"
I slowly circled the car.
Beautiful.
Sharp.
Powerful.
I smiled.
"It's gorgeous."
He grinned.
"I knew you'd like it."
I looked back at him.
Then at the car.
Then back at him again.
"I still prefer Porsches."
For the first time all day...
He laughed.
A real laugh.
Not forced.
Not practiced.
Just genuine.
I smiled back.
Then I turned and walked away.
I didn't look back.I didn't need to.
Because this time...
I wasn't wondering whether he was watching me.
I already knew.
And for the first time since that day outside the exotic car shop...
It didn't matter.
Not anymore.
...
Three months later...
My phone rang.
His name lit up the screen.
I stared at it.
This time...
Reality and fantasy were about to collide.




Comments
Post a Comment