Harassment in the Workplace
Harassment in the workplace is not as straightforward as it seems. Most people agree it’s wrong, yet the individuals responsible rarely identify their behavior that way, nor do they openly admit their intentions.
Even more concerning is the assumption that HR is there to protect employees. In reality, HR’s primary role is to protect the company by ensuring compliance with laws and internal policies.
The workplace is, first and foremost, a business. While companies aim to foster safe environments, they cannot control every individual. What they can control is how situations are managed, and they often do so in a way that minimizes liability and protects the organization.
It is common for employees who come forward to be instructed not to discuss the situation. From a business standpoint, this limits internal disruption and preserves the integrity of an investigation. However, it can also leave the employee isolated, continuing to work in the same environment while waiting in uncertainty.
At this stage, the complaint is typically treated as an allegation, acknowledged but not yet validated. And while it’s true that misunderstandings can happen, or that situations may be more complex than they initially appear, this process can feel deeply invalidating to the person experiencing it.
For that reason, employees in these situations should begin documenting and preserving evidence immediately. How information is gathered and maintained matters. Relying solely on HR to act in your best interest can result in a loss of leverage, because their responsibility is ultimately to the company.
In my own experience, I was shocked by how unprepared I was. I had been with the company for nearly five years and never imagined I would find myself in that position. When I finally spoke up, I found myself not only explaining what had happened but defending my own reality. Being told that my experience was merely an “allegation” felt disorienting and deeply unjust.
That experience gave me a new level of empathy for others who have gone through similar situations and a clear understanding that this is not uncommon.
Over time, I healed. But one thing remains true: environments like this take a toll. Navigating the emotional weight of the experience while also trying to protect yourself professionally can be exhausting, especially when your livelihood is at stake.
If you find yourself in this position, protect yourself. Document everything. Be mindful of how you communicate, especially publicly. Anything shared can be taken out of context and used in ways you may not expect.
Act with awareness. Preserve your leverage. And above all, advocate for yourself with intention.


Comments
Post a Comment